The American Civil Liberties Union said it would argue in U.S. District Court in NY at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday for a nationwide stay to block deportation of people stranded in U.S. airports because of President Donald Trump's new immigration order. The protestors, and fans of American values, got a measure of satisfaction when the ACLU successfully sued to temporarily block Trump's deportation orders.
As it stands, the executive order applies to citizens of those countries with valid visas and green cards as well as those with dual citizenship-for example, someone who is a citizen of both Iran and Canada, according to The Atlantic.
The only arguably good news to come out of this weekend is that the American Civil Liberties Union broke any previous records for fundraising.
Asked what the money from the weekends donations would go toward, the ACLU pointed to a seven-point plan of action aimed at taking on the policies of the Trump administration.
Individual Mandate May Be On Chopping Block, Trump Aide Hints
It's unclear how much of this order could be carried out before Price, if he's confirmed, is installed at HHS. Paul Ryan and the GOP had announced previously that there's already a plan in place to repeal Obamacare.
The court granted an emergency stay on the president's executive order Saturday night.
The president's order sparked a backlash, with thousands of people attending protests at airports nationwide as official began enforcing the ban.
Lawyers and advocates working at the airport say they didn't have a hard count on the number of people taken into custody after getting off their flights.
As Bloomberg reported Saturday, the list of banned countries excludes those where Trump has business ties.
On Saturday dozens of immigrants were detained and removed from planes en route to the US, and travelers were detained upon arrival, as well. He said on Twitter yesterday that Mr. Darweesh "spent years keeping USA soldiers alive in combat in Iraq". That's about six times what the activist group would collect in online donations in a normal year. According to the Times, Donnelly's ruling "does not appear to force the administration to let in people otherwise blocked by Mr. Trump's order who have not yet traveled to the United States".